Pages

Saturday, February 13, 2010

classes, flamenco, and great opportunities!


Classes started this week at the Universidad de Sevilla. This week was a trial week where we got to pick 7 different classes and try them out. I ended up going to 8 different classes and a couple of them more than once. The more Spanish the merrier, right?! I went to a cinema class, 2 flamenco classes, 2 literature classes, grammar class, phonetics and conversation, and the historical influence of 3 cultures: Christianity, Judaism, and Muslim. I narrowed it down to the 5 that I want the night before I had to hand in my final registration. It was tough to pick with the different schedules, accents, and difficulty levels, but I'll be taking flamenco, literature, grammar, phonetics and conversation, and the historical influences class. Classes are offered only Monday-Thursday so the weekend begins Thursday after 3..yay!

I went to a flamenco show with CEA on Tuesday night. It was a lot different than I had expected, but it was a good experience. I liked the bright colored dresses and seeing the passion that the dancers had, well most of the dancers. One dancer looked like she did not want to be there and even yawned at one point! I'm thankful I got to have that experience and am looking forward to learning more about the music of flamenco in my class at the University.

Nacho is going to school to be a personal trainer, and for his job now he takes people on runs, works out with them, etc. One of his client's sisters wants me to teach her kids English. What an incredible opportunity that God had given me! It's so perfect. I never would have imagined something like this. I love when God blows me away with surprises like this! I'm meeting with her on Monday to talk about more details. Her 2 older children need help building conversation skills, and the 2 younger children need help reading. I will meet with them twice a week for 1.5 hours each time. She told Nacho that just because I'm an American doesn't mean I can teach. Oh boy! Pray that our meeting goes well on Monday and praise God for such a neat opportunity.

I asked Nacho where I could play basketball a while back, and he didn't really know then. He plays in a men's basketball league in Sevilla, and this week one of his friends told him I could play in the women's league. How exciting! She said that I couldn't play in tournaments with them but could practice. I will take what I can get. I miss basketball so much. Practice is on Tuesday and Thursday nights so hopefully that doesn't conflict with teaching. Praise God for another great opportunity in the making!

The weather this week has been really gross. It has rained almost every day, and it's pretty cold. I wish I had my gloves from home and some rain boots too! I have to do a shoe rotation because it takes about 3 days for my shoes to dry after walking out in the rain so by the time one pair is finally dry, I usually have to get it soaked again. It's supposed to rain every day this week too. ick. What happened to Sunny Sevilla?! Praise God for sun between the showers and please pray for warmer weather.

Friday night, Nadine, the missionary with Students for Christ, had an Intercambio Fiesta with a Valentine's Day theme. The outreaches are a good way to get into the lives of the Spanish students. We, the Americans, are supposed to bring our Spanish intercambios, which is a Spanish student that wants to speak English. The Spanish student and American student, who wants to speak Spanish, meet and talk for half the time in English and half the time in Spanish. Most of us don't have intercambios yet, so the fiesta ended up being all Americans. Kate and I were able to go early and help set up. It was fun to cut out paper hearts and do crafts again. It was a blessing to meet more people, most of whom are in the Trinity exchange program. We played games and had yummy treats. Praise God for fellowship and home-baked cookies and banana bread :)

Saturday night, Alli, Kate, and I went to get churros at a place that Concha recommended, but it was closed. We went to McDonald's instead. It was so packed! It made me sick. I've never seen a McDonald's so busy before. Kate got fries and Alli got a McFlurry. I ordered a McFlurry, but they were out of ice cream. Allie's was the last one. Maybe that was God's way of keeping me from supporting McDonald's..haha. I got an ice cream sandwich from Vips next door, and we came back to my house. We watched a movie and had popcorn. It was so relaxing and great! It was such a blessing to be able to have them over. Most people aren't allowed to have people over. I don't know if it was a one time deal because Nacho and Kristen were gone, but I'm so grateful Concha let me have them over. Words can't express how nice it was.

Praise God that I have such a wonderful mom in Sevilla! Concha is feeling better and went back to work this week. She doesn't have much time for herself now that she's working again. I gave her my massage that we won from CEA for winning the scavenger hunt. Pray that her time at the arab bath is relaxing and rejuvenating. I'm so blessed and thankful to have such a loving senora!

Kristen and I had some meals just the two of us this week. It was really great to get to know her better. She has such a kind heart and is a great listener too. We're going to exchange prayer requests this week. How cool that God has blessed me with a prayer partner as my roommate!
My other roommate, Kelsey, will arrive on Tuesday. I'm looking forward to getting to know her better. Concha said that we'll get along well :) It will take some adjusting to share the room after having it to myself for so long. Pray that Kelsey has safe travels, I'm extra considerate with our space, and that the dynamic in our home is enhanced with her presence.

I recently finished the book Boundaries by Dr. Henry Cloud and Dr. John Townsend. On the cover it says, “When to say yes, how to say no, to take control of your life.” Now that I’ve finished reading it, I’ve realized some of the reasons that I have a hard time saying no to people and the importance of building solid boundaries in relationships with everyone. One of the ten “laws of boundaries” is the law of responsibility, which is one that I probably struggle with most. It says, “Many times when people hear talk on boundaries and taking responsibility for their own lives, they say, ‘That’s so self-centered. We should love one another and deny ourselves.’ … Or, they feel ‘guilty’ when they do someone a favor. These are unbiblical views of responsibility. The Law of Responsibility includes loving others. … Problems arise when boundaries of responsibility are confused. We are to love one another, not be one another” (88). This really hit home for me when I read it. God is teaching me a lot about boundaries, and it's been a challenge thus far to develop solid ones. Please pray that I would develop solid boundaries and have the help from people around me that I need.

I'm looking forward to having a regular schedule of classes this week. Hopefully the meeting tomorrow goes well, I find out more about basketball, and get an intercambio soon. This weekend we're going to Granada for two days. I'm looking forward to seeing what God has in store this week!

Prayer Praises & Requests
Praises

*A loving host family! *Great opportunities *Fellowship *Time with Kristen *Answers to prayer * This whole opportunity to study in Spain. I am very blessed. *Having encouragement from Kate and Cole in Sevilla *Loving family and friends back home

Requests

*Safe travels for Kelsey *Development with the opportunities *Warmer weather *Developing boundaries *Vision and guidance for time in Spain *I can form good relationships with my host family, roommates, natives, and others *I can show them God's love and be a light

1 comment:

  1. Kelsey, Thank you for sharing so much of your trip and your heart with us. We are glad to hear that you are settling in. We will continue to pray for you, your health, safety, and feeling of contentment in God's abiding love. We love you! The Connor Fam

    ReplyDelete